The pair, who have generously donated their time to the campaign, have provided voiceovers to provide information and signposting to Big C services. The advertisements will be aired on ITV, The Beach, North Norfolk Radio and Radio Norwich 99.9fm from May 12th.
Stephen Fry voices the radio advertisement. He said, “So pleased to be able to support a local charity doing so much good. It’s vital of course to do what we can to lessen the impact of the Coronavirus, but that doesn’t mean we should forget others who are stricken with other illnesses and in need of our support too.”
Martin Shaw voices the television advertisement said, “Thanks to Big C people living with cancer, can still access the support they need during this time of crisis. It’s a valuable service worth supporting – and they couldn’t do this without donations from the public, which is why I was delighted to help.”
Every year more than 8,000 people in Norfolk will be told they have cancer and many more will be living with the effects every day.
Dr Chris Bushby, Chief Executive at Big C, said, “The key message of our new broadcast campaign is that “We are still here to support you” and having Stephen and Martin on board helps enormously to instil that message. Many thanks to them for their generosity.
“At Big C, we have been supporting local people affected by cancer for 40 years and our team cares passionately about those who use our services. They are working tirelessly to provide valuable support and information for those at home coping with cancer and the additional challenges of the Coronavirus situation. This is a very difficult set of circumstances to deal with, but having the appropriate support makes an important difference. We want people to know they can rely on us throughout lockdown and beyond.”
Big C has a range of services designed to support those affected by cancer during the Coronavirus pandemic which include:
- Free telephone support line operated by cancer specialist nurses and qualified, experienced cancer information officers. Telephone 0800 092 7640, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
- Live chat facility Monday to Friday 11am to 3pm
- Telephone counselling
- Telephone advice in partnership with Citizens Advice Bureau
- Big C Virtual Centre – support.big-c.co.uk offering ‘Ask the Nurse’ support and video links to Big C team members. Physical activity and mental wellbeing videos
- Delivery of Big C welfare support packs, including hand sanitisers made by UEA scientists for the charity
- Emergency delivery service for those most in need
- Weekly wellbeing blogs from Big C nursing and information support staff
Anyone affected by cancer in Norfolk and Waveney can access the following support by calling Big C free on 0800 092 7640
View Big C’s Coronavirus support advertisement here https://youtu.be/T077fQQRpfQ
Like many other charities, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Big C has experienced a significant drop in income, with shops closed and spring and summer fundraising events postponed.
If you can support Big C, donations are gratefully welcomed at fundraise.big-c.co.uk